Happy Friday to you. I'm filling in for Lonestar for the Friday Headlines this week and I'm not alone. That's because there was a news story that was out of my area of expertise, so I had to call in some help.
The news in question is related to former WWE Superstar Batista. The subject? A major motion picture role. We'll go to IGN for the story:
Jason Momoa, of Conan remake and Game of Thrones fame, had originally been rumored to win the role last month, but reportedly turned it down. Isaiah Mustafa and Brian Patrick Wade had also been up for the Drax part, but Bautista now has the job.
Bautista was seen recently in The Man With the Iron Fists and will also appear opposite Vin Diesel in Riddick next fall.
Now I'm going to pass things over to TJR's comic book expert Andrew Johnson for his take on this news.
Andrew Johnson: As TJR's resident comic book person (which is code for "check out that nerd") John checked with me when he came across this news:
John- Batista is in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Big deal? I don't know comics.
Me- *Looks up news, sees Batista is playing Drax the Destroyer* HOLY SHIT HE'S DRAX, YES IT'S A BIG DEAL.*I then send several texts explaining why this is huge, well past the point where John had to be polite about it*
Yes it's a big deal. It's a huge deal. Let's get out the bullet points explaining why, shall we?
- Marvel is no slouch when it comes to the movie-making game. They've put out five flicks on their own, and all have been successful. The Avengers alone grossed over $1.5 billion dollars. It took all of the money. Hell, even if you didn't buy a ticket, chances are your money ended up in their pocket. They seemed to have cracked the formula that makes comic book movies both appealing to the masses and revered by the established comic fanbase. In short, they know what they're doing when it comes to their franchises.
- Guardians of the Galaxy is freaking awesome. It's a book about space traveling, planet hopping adventurers, and one of them is an anthropomorphic raccoon with an itchy trigger finger. That is bad ass.
- Marvel is going all out for the casting on this one. They've already signed Chris Pratt (Andy Dwyer from "Parks and Recreation" and recently Zero Dark Thirty fame) as Star-Lord and they're sending out feelers to A-list comic actors like Adam Sandler for the voices of their CGI characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon. Drax the Destroyer isn't just some chump chilling in the back, he's a major character. If Batista landed this role either he nailed the audition or his agent bought the Marvel execs a truck load of cocaine, because they are not f**king around when it comes to casting this puppy.
So yeah, it's a big deal.
John: Thank you Andrew. I appreciate the info. For what it's worth, I'm one of those guys that did enjoy The Avengers immensely even though I don't read comic books. Clearly Marvel knows what they are doing.
As for Batista, congrats to him on landing a major role like this. To those that wonder if he's going to come back to WWE anytime soon, it's probably not happening.
IN OTHER NEWS
- There's some bad news for WWE superstar Jimmy Uso. From PWTorch:
WWE wrestler Jimmy Uso (Jonathan Solofa Fatu) was arrested for the second time on a DUI charge earlier this week. Fatu was booked on Wednesday afternoon in Tampa, Florida, which is where he was arrested on his first DUI charge in September 2011.
According to arrest records, Fatu was released from a Hillsborough County holding cell at 3:08 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon on $500 bond. The arrest code indicates that Fatu was charged with a DUI either because his Blood-Alcohol Level was above 0.08 and/or because the arresting officer believed that Fatu's "faculties were impaired" to the extent that he could not operate a vehicle.
It's obviously bad news that he got his second DUI in two years. But is that the whole story. Here is TJR reader Matt Tankersley, who shared this on my Facebook page yesterday.
Hey, John. Just wanted to help clear up the Uso thing. He was NOT arrested for another DUI. He violated the probation that stemmed from his DUI, and turned himself in. The arrest location is the Orient Road Jail, and it says "VOP" under the charge. Plus who gets a DUI and gets released 2 hours later?
The arrest location is the exact address for the Orient Road Jail. People either turn themselves in there for Falkenburg. The VOP means he messed up somehow with his probation terms, so he had a warrant out for his arrest. Could've missed a probation meeting, failed the complete community service, etc.
I don't condone his initial DUI at all. I just want to make sure people get their facts right before slinging mud. I know people see it and assume another DUI, but I know for a fact he didn't get another one. I've seen people attacking him and talking all kinds of crap...just want to help the man protect his namesake.
When I read that it made a lot of sense. I think most people are going to conclude that he got arrested again on a DUI, but the arrest happened at 12pm on a Thursday and he was released three hours later.
I'm not really sure what to make the situation. What I do know is that if Jimmy Uso did get charged with DUI for the second time in two years then he might not be on the WWE roster for long. Even though I like the Usos tag team they aren't used a whole lot, so they are expendable.
- My good friends at WWEDVDNews.com revealed some info on WWE's upcoming Top 25 Rivalries DVD that comes out on May 8th.
#25 – Triple H vs. Mick Foley
#24 – Tazz vs. Sabu
#23 – Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero
#22 – Bruiser Brody vs. Abdullah the Butcher
#21 – Hulk Hogan vs. Roddy Piper
#20 – CM Punk vs. John Cena
#19 – Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar
#18 – Randy Orton vs. Triple H
#17 – Verne Gagne vs. Nick Bockwinkel
#16 – Mankind vs. The Undertaker
#15 – Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven
#14 – Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
#13 – Triple H vs. The Rock
#12 – John Cena vs. Edge
#11 – Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage
#10 – Tully Blanchard vs. Magnum T.A.
#9 – The Undertaker vs. Kane
#8 – Edge & Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz
#7 – Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric Flair
#6 – Von Erichs vs. The Fabulous Freebirds
#5 – Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock
#4 – Andre the Giant vs. Hulk Hogan
#3 – Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat
#2 – Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart
#1 – Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon
No Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart at all? It should be top five not only for the matches (WM13 and Survivor Series 1996 to name two), but how it helped to launch Austin's rise as a babyface. The fact that it's not even on the list is ridiculous.
In terms of some recent feuds, there's no Jericho vs. Michaels from 2008? No CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy from 2009? Brutal. Meanwhile, Randy Orton vs. Triple H is on there. No. Just no. I realize you can't include everything, but some of their choices are just silly.
Also Michaels vs. Undertaker had three of the best matches ever (WM25, Badd Blood 97, WM26) and it's only 14? That's weird to me. Just because Undertaker vs. Kane had more matches doesn't make it better. It just makes it longer.
I like a lot of the choices including older feuds, the tag feud, Dreamer/Raven from ECW and some of the others, but this still a very flawed list.
In the interest of being positive, at least Hervina vs. Miss Kitty didn't make the list. Google it. Or don't. I hate myself for remembering it.
- Hulk Hogan did an interview with Busted Open radio. (WrestlingINC) He said his usual amount of gibberish talking about people not liking his daughter Brooke and Robert Roode's contract expiring. He tried to defend it by saying it happens all the time in TNA. That sounds like such an organized company doesn't it?
There was also this quote: "Now I got two new knees, two new hips; after eight back surgeries my back is fixed - I think I should be getting a title shot pretty soon. The oldest Heavyweight Champion of the world."
In other words, he's going to book himself to win the TNA World Title probably at Bound For Glory in October. It doesn't really anger me at all. It just makes me feel sorry for all of the talented people that work there and have to deal with Egomania running wild, brother.
- Finally, today is the birthday of the legendary Iron Sheik. He turns 70! If you're not checking out his amazing Twitter account @the_ironsheik then what's wrong with you?
Here's an audio clip of Iron Sheik recently on the Howard Stern show. Go to the 7:00 mark to hear him swearing at a Hulk Hogan impersonator. It's not safe for work if you know what I mean.
On Wednesday during the big Pope reveal (he needs better theme music, by the way), I sent out a tweet suggesting that The Iron Sheik should be the new Pope. He replied.
@johnreport thank you bubba respect to you— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) March 13, 2013
I can now go to my grave saying that the Iron Sheik put me over. The rest of my life is downhill from here.
Thanks again to Andrew for his help earlier.
Remember how I mentioned a possible TJR Writer Search? There will be some news about that on Monday. Get ready.
Have a great weekend.
John Canton - email@example.com